- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
In EASEApperian, a group is a mechanism for organizing user access to the applications in your App Catalog. For example, you may want to create groups for different functional areas within your organization since employees in each of those areas will have different application needs. When you add a group to EASEApperian, you:
- Assign users. You can select from a list of all the users in your organization to determine who will have access to the application.
- Assign applications to the group. You can also specify whether the application is mandatory for the group. When an application is mandatory, users in the group are forced to install then app when they open the App Catalog; if they do not install all mandatory apps, they cannot use the App Catalog.
If there are multiple versions of an application, you can choose to assign the latest version or you can select a specific version. Assigning the latest version means that whenever a new version of the app is uploaded to
- Apperian, members of the group will have access to that version in the App Catalog. When you assign a specific version, the group will have access to that specific version even if it is not the latest (most recent) version in
When users belong to multiple groups, they have access to all the applications assigned to each of those groups. If different versions of an application are assigned to different groups that the same user is a member of, the user will have access to all the assigned versions of the application. For more on managing multiple versions of an application, see Application Versions.
Once a group is created, you can edit that group at any time to modify user and application assignments. You can also control the relationship between groups and applications while adding or editing a specific application. When you add/edit an application, you can select the groups that will have access to that application and specify whether the app is mandatory for any of those groups.
If you wish to add multiple groups at once, see Import Multiple Groups.
To add a group
- On the
- Admin Portal navigation bar, click Groups.
- Click the Add Group button in the upper right corner to display the New Group page. All required fields are designated with a red asterisk (*).
- In the Name field, enter a name for the group. The name cannot exceed 128 characters.
- In the Description field, enter a short description that will appear in the list of groups on the Groups page. The description cannot exceed 500 characters.
On the Users tab (this tab is selected by default), select the users who will be in the group. Click on a user's name to open the details page for that user.
Expand title Click here for details on assigning users...
To select a user, check the box to the left of the name. You can scroll through the list manually to select users, or you can use the Search field to find specific users quickly and add them to the new group. The following table provides guidelines for using the Search field.
To search this column... Enter... First Name Image Modified
A case-insensitive string to return a list of users with the specified text string anywhere in their name. For example, if you type the string
Davinto the search field, the list returned will include all users who have the letters
Dav(upper or lowercase) anywhere in their first or last name.
Search First Name or Last Name columns separately; you cannot search for a full name.
Last Name User ID A case-insensitive, full user ID. The search returns exact matches only. Custom Metadata
field_nameis case-sensitive and must be the full name of the custom metadata field, not the label.
stringis not case-sensitive. If you leave
the search does not return any search results.
For Example: To search the
departmentfield for users in the
You can see the custom metadata field names defined for your organization by hovering over the information tooltips in the Custom Metadata column of the user list. Note that information tooltips are displayed only for users who have custom metadata defined.
Click Select All or Select None to select/
clear all the listed users. If the search field is left blank, the Select All button selects all users in the organization. If there is a search string entered in the search field, the Select All button selects all users returned by the search.
You can also assign users to a group using the following methods:
- Edit individual users to add them to the group. For instructions, see Edit a User.
- Use the Import Users function to use a CSV file to add multiple users to the group at once. For instructions, see Import Multiple Groups.
Click the Applications tab and then assign applications to the group.
Expand title Click here for details on assigning applications...
- To assign an application,
- select a box in the Assigned column. Click Select All or Select None to select/
- clear all applications.
- If you want the application to be mandatory for the group, check the box in the Mandatory column. If this box is already checked and cannot be cleared, it means that the application is marked as "Mandatory for All Assigned Groups." To change this so that you can make the app mandatory for only some groups (or no groups), edit the application and clear the Mandatory for All Assigned Groups check box. For instructions, see Edit or Update and Application.
- By default, the latest version of an application is assigned. If you want to assign a different version to the group:
- Click the down arrow
- clear all applications.
- at the right of the application row to list all versions of the application.
- Select the version you want to assign to the group. When a specific version is assigned, that is the version that will be available to the group even when a newer version is uploaded to
- Click OK to add the group. The group's name should now appear in the list on the Groups page.