When an application is enabled for Direct Install, an install URL appears on the app details page. Anyone who knows the Direct Install URL will be able to download and install the latest version of the application. Note that when users install an app via Direct Install, they are not notified when the app is updated in Apperian unless the Self Updating App for unregistered users policy is applied to the app. For information on the Self Updating App policy and other policies that are supported for users who install an app via a Direct Install URL or some other mechanism outside of Apperian, see Using Policies with Unregistered Users.
Do not enable an application for Direct Install if you want to restrict installation of the app to authenticated users only.
See the procedure below to enable an app for Direct Install. To monitor Direct Install activity, run the Direct Install Activity report.
Enable Direct Install
The following procedure describes how to edit an application to enable it for Direct Install. Note that you can also enable an application for Direct Install when you initially add it to Apperian.
To enable an app for Direct Install
- On the Apperian Portal navigation bar, click Applications.
- Click the Edit link next to the application you want to enable for Direct Install.
- Expand the Application field.
- Select the Direct Install check box.
- Click OK to save your change.
Once the app is enabled for Direct Install, the Direct Install URL appears on the app details page. You can distribute this URL to the appropriate users.
With iOS apps, the Direct Install URL uses the
If an app is disabled or deleted, users will receive an error message if they try to download the app via a Direct Install URL.
The Direct Install Activity report lists the following information about applications that were downloaded via a Direct Install link rather than through the App Catalog:
- Name and version of the app
- Application ID (Shows the bundle ID for iOS apps and the package ID for Android apps. This column is blank for Windows 8 apps.)
- IP address to which the app was downloaded
- Date and time of the install